Let's face it, many of us are living in micro apartments where every square micro-inch of real estate is meticulously planned and double-booked. If you are a knitter/crocheter who collects yarn and lives in such a space, you’ll likely need a portable system for organizing and displaying your stash. On top of that, you need to think about integrating it into your overall home décor while managing the appearance of clutter.
So, I'm always on the lookout for ways to show off my stash in a 500 square foot apartment, while managing clutter AND trying to leave room for my fiancé Ahmed’s hobbies (video games and all the gadgets that come with it). I've rearranged our place so many times that Ahmed has had to ask me 2 weeks in a row, "Anna, where do we keep our plates?" Oops.
Here's a roundup of 5 storage ideas for your yarn & tools:
- USE WINE RACKS // There are so many ideas on Pinterest for using wine racks to display your yarn. The great thing about this one is that it can be integrated into any décor – modern or traditional. Anything that comes with a drawer and can double up as something else (maybe a bar?) is a keeper in my books. If you're the re-DIY-everything type (guilty as charged), then you can paint it out to take it to the next level of yarn storage.
- GET SNIKA STORAGE BOXES // I love using these boxes. They come 3 in one pack, and there are 2 different sizes. Use the bigger size for storing yarn or your WIPs, and the smaller boxes for storing your leftover yarn or tools. Take it to the next level by and printing out a nice stencil and customizing it with a sharpie.
- INVEST IN A KNITTING NEEDLE ROLL // there are so many great artisans on Etsy selling products to help you store yarn, crochet hooks, and WIPs. This one from KSC designs has a modern design and can be displayed like a piece of art. The best part is that they're portable and can be stored anywhere (even on top of the wine rack mentioned above).
- STOCK UP ON SAMLA STORAGE BINS // If you have so much yarn that displaying it just not an option, these boxes are perfect for fitting under a bed, or tucking away in a closet. I love that they're stackable and wide, so you can fit lots of yarn in them (trust me I've tried).
- SHOP FOR A QUIRKY TIN BOX // Some people find money between the creases of their couch - in my house it's stitch markers. I got the idea of using a tin box to store little knitting supplies from my seamstress, and I can happily report I haven't lost one stitch marker since!! I bought mine on a trip to San Francisco in a random store, but you can get yours at a garage sale, thrift store, or eBay.
How do you display/organize your yarn in your tiny abode?